First of all let’s reframe this term, which is derived from a medical term and sounds altogether too negative for what it actually is. Instead let’s refer to this as a ‘Reiki cleansing’, a type of detox which is a natural part of the healing process.
Not all clients will have the same response to Reiki treatments, and your response may not be the same each time you go for Reiki, even with the same Reiki practitioner.
Reiki works with universal energy and your own energy field, your energy is constantly changing. Everything you do, think, the environment you’ve been in, the people you’ve been around affects your energy. During a treatment, any negative energy that’s trapped within your body will be released automatically so you can let go of it and heal. This might be repressed energy from recent or past traumatic experience(s), (even from a post life). It may also be a release of repressed energy from an emotional shock. The more out of balance or negative energies you have, the deeper the cleanse, and hence the deeper the cleanse response.
Each person comes with a different sensitivity to reiki too, those who have a stronger spiritual connection will often have a stronger response. This does not mean, however, that it has been less effective, rather it’s just how you experience it.
Reiki helps to cleanse the bodies energy, and when used with chakra work also helps to balance and unblock energy flows through the chakras. It’s a wonderful thing. Reiki can be combined with all kinds of other alternative therapies (as I do in my holistic therapy suit and my psychotherapy sets).
What might I experience?
The following are typical after effects that you may experience during a reiki cleansing:
- Cold or flu like symptoms, including: headaches, mild aches and pains, blocked nose.
- Nightmares or lucid dreaming
- Insomnia and/or restlessness
- Bodily aches and pains
- Feelings of resentment
- Feelings of being unloved
- Resurfacing of past emotions attached to unpleasant events
Sometimes the symptoms last for a few hours, however, it is normal for them to go on for around 21 days. There are things that you can do to help the process, and that brings onto the next section.
What can help?
The most important thing to do is be mindful and aware of these feelings and effects, know that it is a process that will pass and it is to the benefit of your healing.
- Drink lots of water, hydration is really important
- Meditation will help to bring about calm and peace (meditation example below)
- Affirm you are ready to accept the cleanse and let go of any negative energy and emotions
- An essential oil massage treatment can help you to relax and sleep
- Lavender essential oil (mild sedative) under you pillow, and even on your clothes, to calm the mind and support sleep
- A Himalayan salt bath with added rose essential oil
- Crown pull to release headaches, clear the mind and calm the nervous system (see below)
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
A Short Meditation to Relax:
- Sit somewhere in comfort, both feet on the ground, hand palm down on legs.
- Take 3 deep breaths – in through your nose, out through your mouth
- Close your eyes
- Be aware of 5 normal in/out breaths
- Be aware of your feet on the ground, your legs/bum on the seat
- Starting at the crown of your head observe how your body feels bit by bit, where there is tension/tenseness, release tension consciously/relax part of body with an out breath
- Once your body scan is complete, Smile, breath in and out and say “I accept the reiki cleansing, I am ready to let go of any negative energy and emotions”
- Sit and imagine your body bathed in pure white light, cleansing and purifying it
- Take a deep breath, and feel a warming sense of peace and contentment as you slowly bring your awareness consciously to yourself and your surroundings
- In your own time, open your eyes
Crown pull technique:
- Join your fingers just above the brown and apply pressure
- Pull your fingers out to your temples (releasing the pressure at this point)
- Gently massage your temple
- Move your fingers to your hairline (top of forehead), apply pressure and pull your fingers down to your temples, (releasing the pressure at this point)
- Gently massage again
- Repeat all the way over your head to the nape of your neck
Supporting you to be your best and happiest self
Join Alison & Nicky’s Healthy Human 360 community
and discover a world of healing through nutrition, mind, body & spirit connection