In 1988 Alison embarked on a learning journey into aromatherapy and natural health, which followed an already established passion in all things wellbeing. Today you can experience the wonderfully relaxing benefits of aromatherapy at the Flourish Therapy Rooms, and through her specially designed ‘healing’ product range.
A Potted History
Aromatic oils have been used for thousands of years to soothe, stimulate and heal the mind and body. There’s evidence that Egyptians used essential oils for treatments such as embalming and even Hippocrates claimed an aromatic bath was the key to good health. Soldiers in the Second World War were treated with essential oils and around the 1950’s it turned up in beauty treatments and massage. Over the years aromatherapy has become increasingly popular and continues to be used for a whole range of treatments including massage, as an aid for mental wellbeing, beauty, physical relaxation or healing, and medical herbalism.
How does it work?
Aromatherapy works to heal mind-body and there is a growing base of clinical evidence to support claims of healing conditions such as depression and anxiety, alongside a whole range of physical conditions. Aromatherapy, then, works on two levels. Firstly, it works by stimulating smell receptors in the nose, which then send messages through the nervous system to the limbic system (the part of the brain that controls emotions). Oils can lift your mood, calm your mind, energise you, relax you, and so forth. Essential oils also have a wonderful power to heal the body; Lavender and tea tree oil are known as an effective natural antibiotic, tee tree is said to more effective than some of the orthodox antibiotics against certain strains of bacteria. Many hospitals use aromatherapy for its therapeutic properties, and combined with massage this promotes a positive impact on patients health and wellbeing.
Which oil will be used?
At the Flourish Therapy Room Alison uses only the highest grade essential oils, ethically sourced and mostly organic. Alison either creates a blend or uses a pre blended oil for massage and then chooses essential oils to scent the room dependant on your treatment requirements (e.g. to de-stress, relax, energise, meditate or promote balance).
The oils were massaged into my neck, back and shoulders before starting the reiki session, it was so gentle and relaxing
Here’s some of the oils I use in my aromatherapy treatments and product range:
- Bergamot helps to promote a calm mind, is balancing for the skin and nourishing for your hair
- Geranium balances emotions and the skin
- Jasmine gives a boos to self-confidence and nourishes the skin
- Lavender is soothing for mind and skin conditions
- Neroli lifts your spirits and nourishes skin
- Frankincense is great to treat maturer skin and also to ease the mind into a meditative state
- Grapefruit is fabulous for lifting your spirits
- Clary sage soothes emotions, anxiety, and creates a sense of calm
- Mandarin is helpful for mild depression, nervous tension and sleep issues
- Petitgrain is another favourite for soothing the nervous system, anxiety and stress.
Supporting you to be your best and happiest self